If you would like to apply for a full degree course, the Studienkolleg (Preparatory Courses), or a DSH language course at the University of Greifswald, you will need to meet the following requirements:
Students will only be admitted to study at the University of Greifswald if they are in possession of a higher education entrance qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung) which is recognised in Germany.
The certificate database ANABIN provides information on how foreign educational qualifications are rated and helps you rate your foreign qualifications in comparison with the German education system.
If the school leaving certificate qualifies you for studying - in some countries only in connection with a higher education entrance examination -, this acknowledgement is valid either for all degree courses (direct general university entrance qualification) or only for certain courses (direct subject-related entrance qualification).
If your foreign qualifications are not sufficient for direct admission to the University, you can take an assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) at the Studienkolleg (Preparatory Courses) which will give you a subject-related entrance qualification.
In addition to school leaving qualifications, study credits already gained in your home country can also be recognised and lead to a direct admission.
If you are wishing to apply for a study place with foreign educational qualifications, you will need to provide proof of sufficient German language proficiency before starting your degree course.
Sufficient German language proficiency, required for studying at the University of Greifswald, can be proven by:
- the “Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber” (DSH) at least level 2*
- the “Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz” (level 2)
- the Goethe-Zertifikat C2 from the Goethe Insititute
- the “Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache” (Test DaF), at least level 4 in all partial examinations*
- the certificate “telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule”
- a completed degree in German Studies
*For the degree courses of Medicine, Dentistry, German Studies, German as a Foreign Language, Communication Studies and the Master’s degree in German Studies, only DSH Level 3 or TestDaF Level 5, or the C2 certificate of the Goethe Institute or the certificate “telc Deutsch C2” will be accepted.
For degree courses with admission restrictions, proof of German language proficiency muss be provided by the application deadline (15th January or 15th July), for degree courses without admission restrictions, proof must be provided by the day of enrolment.
For applicants from EU countries, proof of German language skills must only be provided by the day of enrolment.
Applying to the Studienkolleg (Preparatory Courses) and a German Language Course
You are only allowed to apply to the Studienkolleg (Preparatory Courses) at the University of Greifswald if you can provide proof of German language proficiency at least B2 level.
At the University of Greifswald, preparatory German language courses (DSH) are offered at B2 and C1 levels. If you can prove German language skills of B1 level, you will be invited to take an entrance test, which will decide whether you will be admitted to the course. A direct higher education entrance qualification for studying at the University of Greifswald is required.
The registration fees for the DSH German language course are € 350 per semester and € 150 (€ 250 extern) for the final examination (DSH).
The DSH exam can be taken without attending the German course if proof of advanced German language skills can be provided (mid-level B2, C1 or DSH 1 or at least 800 hours of German lessons)
You will only be admitted to the DSH examination if you can provide university entrance qualifications and in connection with an application for a study place at the University of Greifswald.
You can find further information on the DaF Department’s website.
If you are applying for the subjects Human Medicine and Dentistry at the University of Greifswald, you will have to meet the following additional requirements:
- Foreign secondary school leaving certificates with a minimum grade of “good” (at least 2.5 or better)
- Certificate Test AS (test for foreign students/ study capability test) – Core Test with a minimum score of 100 - (only applies to applicants for the 1st semester and for study applicants from non EU/EEA countries)
- For German language course graduates: Language certificate DSH level 3, Goethe Zertifikat C2, TestDaF Level 5 or the certificate “telc Deutsch C2”
- For Studienkolleg (Preparatory Courses) graduates: Assessment test with minimum grade “good” (2.5 or better)
The Application Procedure
The University of Greifswald has all documents that are submitted by prospective students who gained their higher education entrance qualification abroad and who would like to apply for one of the above named opportunities, preliminary checked by the University Application Service for International Students (uni-assist).
If you apply with a foreign higher education entrance qualification, please take note of the following steps (exceptions listed below):
- Apply online at uni-assist
• completed and signed application form with full CV
• a copy of your passport
• proof of payment of the processing fees
• copy of your secondary school leaving certificate
• proof of German language proficiency
• if applicable academic records (with list of subjects and grades) and academic degree certificates (with list of subjects and grades)
• if applicable proof that the applicant has passed the general university entrance examination (applies only to applicants from certain countries, e.g. Iran, Turkey, Korea, Vietnam)
• for applicants from China, from Mongolia and from Vietnam proof of pre-examination (Überprüfungsbestätigung/ APS) from the corresponding German embassy
• Applicants for Medicine and Dentistry: Certificate Test AS (test for foreign students/ study capability test) – Core Test with a minimum score of 100 - (only applies to applicants for the 1st semester and for study applicants from non EU/EEA countries)
• Applicants for Art and Music: Aptitude test
Notes for certain countries
Certain Diplomas (IB/US High School Diploma)
Once you have gathered all of the required documents, please send them all and a signed application form in paper before the end of the deadline to uni-assist:
University of Greifswald
c/o uni-assist e.V.
Processing takes around 3 to 4 weeks and is subject to a charge. Please transfer the processing fees to uni-assist before the end of the deadline. Further information can be found on uni-assist’s website.
Please note that all certificates must be in original form and legally attested and copies have to be legally attested and handed in in English or German.
Find more information on legal attestation and translations here.
If all of the requirements have been met, the University of Greifswald will receive the documents and decide on the admission.
Winter Semester 2018/19
|Semester Dates||01/10/2018 – 31/03/2019|
|Lecture Period||15/10/2018 – 03/02/2019|
|No Lectures on||24/12/2018 – 05/01/2019|
|1) Degree courses for non-EU/EEA citizens||15/07/2018|
|2) Degree courses for EU/EEA citizens|
|2.1) for degree courses with admission restrictions (NOTE - special rules, see below) 31st May for High School leavers from previous years, for Med. Dent. Pharm.||15/07/2018|
|2.2) for degree courses with no admission restrictions||applications should be with uni-assist by the 28/09/2018|
|3) Studienkolleg (Preparatory Courses)||15/06/2018|
|4) DSH German Language Course||15/07/2018|
|5.1) Sacred Music (D), Music (B.A.)||23/06/2018|
|5.2) Portfolio deadline (art degrees)||01/06/2018|
! Warning - Exceptions for EU/EEA Citizens:
EU/EEA citizens for the 1st semester in the subjects Human Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Psychology must apply through the Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung (Central Admissions Office) and directly through the University. The application deadline is the 31st May (if the Secondary School was finished before the 16th of January in the year of the application).
National Admission Restrictions [de]
EU/EEA citizens applying for the 1st semester of Psychology have to register first with the Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung. To register, you will need to submit personal data and you will then receive an applicant identification number (BID) and an applicant authorisation number (BAN). This is needed for your application through uni-assist.
Application portal for courses of studies with local admission-restriction
Previous study achievements, made in foreign countries, can usually be recognized if you would like to continue your studies in Greifswald. Therefore, there is a possibility of applying for a more advanced semester and to continue your degree or start a different degree at a more advanced stage.
Please make sure to indicate you are applying for a more advanced semester on your application form.
Depending on the degree course, there are different bodies who are responsible for the recognition of previous study achievements.
Bachelor’s, Diplom and Master’s Degrees
The decision is made by the University’s examination boards. Together with their application forms, applicants must hand in detailed information of their study achievements (course books, list of subjects and grades from all years).
Human Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy
Requests for the recognition of previous study achievements should be made to:
Landesprüfungsamt für Medizin, Psychotherapie und Pharmazie
Tel.: +49 211 475-5150
Tel.: +49 361 3773-70 24