Spend your summer at the University of Greifswald, right next to the Baltic Sea coast! (5th August - 1st September 2019)
Greifswald Summer combines 4 weeks of intensive German lessons at various levels of proficiency and workshops with a diverse range of cultural events and excursions.Become part of Greifswald’s international community, improve your German and spend an unforgettable summer in Greifswald!
Greifswald Summer - the Details
- German lessons: 20 hours of morning lessons per week at levels A1, B1 or B2 with workshops that you can choose from that cover current topics and fields of research at the University of Greifswald, providing you with the perfect opportunity to practise your German language skills
- optional weekend excursions to the islands of Rügen and Usedom, as well as an excursion to Hamburg
- Cultural programme and weekly outings in Greifswald and the surrounding area
- Buddies from Greifswald: Students from Greifswald take part in the leisure and cultural activities and introduce you to student life
- prospective students
- Erasmus+/ exchange students
- International students, PhD students and academics
- Full-time students who would like to improve their German before starting their studies in Greifswald
- DSH and Studienkolleg (Preparatory Courses)participants, who would like to improve their German over the summer
Please note that you must be at least 18 years old to take part in Greifswald Summer - Exception: selected pupils from PASCH schools.
- Students of Landscape Ecology and Nature Conservation (EPOS scholarship holders) who are going to start their studies straight after Greifswald Summer: free access to the language and cultural programme as well as the excursions to Rügen and Usedom
- Participants of Ukrainicum: free access to Greifswald Summer during the Ukrainicum
- Selected pupils (and their supervisors) from German schools abroad (PASCH schools)
We offer courses at A1 level for beginners as well as B1 and B2 levels for intermediate learners.
On request, beginnerscan extend the 4-week programme for 4 more weeks.
You will receive a total of 80 hours of German lessons.
The German lessons take place in the mornings, from 09.00 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. and from 11.00 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. on the University of Greifswald’s historical campus. Learning materials and course books are provided.
You can check on your progress by taking a test on the last Friday of the programme. Following your stay, you will receive a certificate that states your mark for the test and the number of ECTS credits you have gained. To gain the total amount of 6 ECTS credits regular attendance in you language class as well as the chosen workshop is required.
The language classes are complemented by workshops focussing on key fields of research at the University of Greifswald and current topics. They take place every Tuesday and Thursday from 2.00 p.m. to 3.30 p.m. In the workshop of your choice, you can practise you newly acquired language skills and extend your knowledge of the topic.
The workshops are based on the following foci:
- Ecology and sustainability (all language levels)
- Body and voice training, speech formation in an intercultural context (all language levels)
- German society in transition (level B1 and higher)
Further information about the workshops can be found here.
In the afternoons and evenings, we undertake diverse activities and smaller outings: we want to aim high with treetop climbing, explore the underwater world at the Ozeaneum in Stralsund, step in Caspar David Friedrich's footsteps or relax at a barbecue at the museum harbour. Furthermore, we will explore the broad spectrum of German film and you can dive into Greifswald's student life with local students, the buddies.
If you would like to experience more of our region and Germany you can attend our weekend excursions to the islands of Rügen and Usedom as well as the wonderful hanseatic city of Hamburg. Information about programmes and prices can be found here.
DuringGreifswald Summeryou can stay in a room in one of the student halls of residence or find your own place to stay.
Please note that holiday apartments and similar accommodation are highly sought after in Greifswald in the summer. Therefore, we suggest you organise your accommodation as soon as possible. For example, you can look for a room for summer on the University forum ryckwärts.de or wg-gesucht.de.
Rooms in halls of residence have access to a communal bathroom and kitchen. We provide you with bed linen and cooking utensils. Please bring a LAN cable with you to access the internet in your room. Unfortunately, you do not have access to WiFi in the halls of residence.
We have reserved a limited number of rooms in the halls of residence. Please expect to pay € 300 for a room in a hall of residence. Rooms are additional options that cannot be guaranteed. Please state in your application if a room is required.
For further information, please visit the homepage of student services.
The programme fees include participation in the German lessons and workshops, as well as cultural events and the Wednesday excursions.
The participation price for Greifswald Summer is € 400.
Room in the halls of residence:
- € 300 for the whole duration of the 4-week programme (+ € 50 deposit)
- Rügen (10th to 11th August): € 80
- Usedom (17th to 18th August): € 65
- Hamburg (23rd to 25th August): € 90
Applications for Greifswald Summer can be submitted between 1st April and 31st May 2019. You can apply via the online registration form.
When applying, you will be required to provide proof of your status at your university (e.g. student ID card) and proof of language proficiency (if applicable).