Requirements and Applications

  • Prospective doctoral students and academics wishing to complete habilitations must meet the requirements stipulated in the corresponding doctoral and habilitation regulations prior to receiving admission to the University of Greifswald.
  • Prospective doctoral students must find a member of academic staff from the corresponding subject area in Greifswald to supervise their doctorate.
  • Each habilitation or other period of research requires the appointment of a member of academic staff from the University of Greifswald.

As there is no structured doctoral programme in Greifswald, the students are responsible for finding their own academic supervisor at the University of Greifswald.


There are various funding opportunities for doctorates. The DAAD provides a scholarship database that lists not only its own offers, but also opportunities provided by more than 50 other organisations.

Transcripts of Records and Certificates

To avoid any problems during your stay, you will need to provide transcripts of records and certificates to various institutions. Which certificate or which transcript needs to be provided to whom, varies.

However, apart from a few exceptions, the following guidelines apply:

  • The documents must be submitted entirely in German.
  • Certificates that you have received from your home country will have to be legalised by the embassy prior to submission of your application. Translations into German must be realised by a recognised translator and be legally attested by a notary.
  • Legal attestations from notaries in your home country must usually also be legalised. Information about which institution is able to certify which certificate should be obtained from the respective German consular office.

The following documents are required:

  • School leaving certificate/higher education entrance qualification*
  • University degree certificate*
  • Doctoral degree certificate*
  • Proof of further qualifications*
  • If applicable, marriage certificate with legalisation*
  • Birth certificate, also for accompanying family members*

If your insurances are also valid in Germany, you will also need certified translations of these – especially for health insurance that is important for the residence permit.*
If you are travelling with children, their school reports must also be copied and legally attested. It is recommended you have this done in your home country, especially if your native language is rare.*

*as a legally certified copy 

The following documents are also required:

  • Passport, which will still be valid at least six months after your planned return to your home country
  • Invitation from the host institute/department, which stipulates the length of your stay, and, if possible, how the stay is going to be financed (scholarship confirmation, declaration of intent for the creation of an employment contract)
  • International driving licence, if you have one
  • International certificate of vaccination, if required
  • Biometric passport photos (these can also be sorted in Germany)