There is a particularly close cooperation between Greifswald and several partner universities in Vietnam. The University opened an office in Vietnam on 22 March 2002: the Joint Education and Training Centre (JETC), run by Dr. Le Nguyen Binh, a former student at the University of Greifswald, who works at the Institute of Biotechnology.
When the first Vietnamese students came to Germany in 1969 they had to travel by train from Hanoi via Beijing and Moscow to Leipzig, before being able to commence studies in Greifswald a few months later. Thankfully, exchanges are now much easier to arrange.
The University of Greifswald has been taking part in the ERASMUS+ programme for partner countries since 2015 and receives funding for the partnership with Vietnam. Since then, students as well as both academic and non-academic staff have been able to consolidate the existing partnerships on frequent exchanges and to initiate new collaborations.
Please get in contact if you are interested in going to Vietnam for a period of stay! We will be glad to help.
- The cooperation with Vietnam came to life back in the late 1960s. It started with several Vietnamese students coming to Greifswald to study.
- In the 1970s, scientists from Greifswald carried out research on Gracilaria cultivation in Vietnam and helped to develop the breeding of red algae.
- 2001–2014: Joint Graduate Education Programme (JPEG)
More than 80 Vietnamese students have studied or done their doctorates in Greifswald since 2003. Regular summer schools prepare the Vietnamese students for Greifswald.
- 2002: Founding of the University of Greifswald’s office in Hanoi
- 2010–2013: Establishment of regional learning centres for protected area management
- 2012: Summer School Modern Principles and Uses of Red Biotechnology
- 2013–2016: Research Network on Melioidosis and Burkholderia
- Spring 2015: Start of regular partner visits from various faculties to Hanoi and vice-versa to Greifswald, which are still taking place today.
- Summer 2015: Start of the ERASMUS+ KA107 Programme with partner countries, the University of Greifswald successfully acquires funds for the partnership with Vietnam
- November 2016: The first Vietnam Forum is held at the University of Greifswald as part of the visit from the Rector of ULIS. This provides a platform for the exchange of experience between the Vietnamese guests and research staff from Greifswald who are interested in cooperation with Vietnam.
Sören Baars recently spent his semester abroad in Hanoi, Vietnam. He kept log of his day-to-day life and reported what he experienced in our blog ‘Greifswald goes international [de]’. It’s worth taking a look at the blog, even if you only understand the photos. He also wrote a report about his semester abroad that is available in German here [de].
Partners in Vietnam
- VNU University of Languages (ULIS)
- VNU University of Social Sciences and Humanities (USSH)
- VNU University of Science (HUS)
Tel.: +49 3834 420 1115