Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University Main Building
Immanuel Kant
St. Petersburg University

We have currently suspended all exchange activities with our Russian partner universities.

Study Periods in Russia

As part of our university exchange programme, the University of Greifswald awards scholarships to Greifswald students for a study abroad period at one of our Russian partner universities in KaliningradSt. PetersburgKemerovoTomsk and Omsk.


Partner Universities in Russia

Find out more about our Russian partner universities in our exchange programme database. The database contains information on the courses available, the language requirements, semester dates and much more.

FAQs on Language Proficiency

  • If you would like to take lecture courses held in Russian, the partner university requires you to provide proof that your Russian language proficiency is at least at level B1. You can also study in English at some of the Russian host universities, in which case your English should generally be at level B2 or higher. Information on language requirements is available in our database.
  • The DAAD language certificate can be used to prove that you have the necessary language skills. The University of Greifswald’s Language Centre (FMZ) conducts the DAAD test to assess foreign language skills several times each semester. Information on the application process, costs and test content is available on the FMZ website[de].
  • Students studying Russian should contact the department directly to obtain the necessary certification of language proficiency. Students taking British and North American Studies or Law should contact their department directly in order to take the language assessment test there.
  • The following documents cannot be accepted as proof of language proficiency: German Abitur certificate with an English exam grade, lapsed certificates, intermediate exam grade from a university language degree. Results from UNIcert exams may be entered on the DAAD language certificate, if agreed with the Language Centre (FMZ).
  • Applicants whose first language is the national language or the language of instruction used in the host country are not required to submit proof of language proficiency.

Application Procedure

Applications for a place as an exchange student at one of the partner universities and for scholarship funding must be submitted online to the International Office by 15 December for an exchange placement in the following academic year.