At the University of Greifswald’s Institute of Botany and Landscape Ecology (working group Peatland Science) in the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, there is a job vacancy that is expected to be available from 01 January 2024, subject to budgetary regulations, for a part-time (65 %)
The fixed term contract is for a period of three years. Payment will be made according to pay group 13 TV-L Wissenschaft.
The Peatland Science Group at the University of Greifswald’s Institute of Botany and Landscape Ecology works on a wide range of central topics in peatland research. We combine basic research with application and practical relevance. Our strength lies in the breadth and integration of basic research with the implementation of rewetting and peatland restoration. In this project, a group of researchers will investigate the implementation of photovoltaic systems on rewetted, (formerly) agriculturally used peatlands and their effects. They will examine existing or newly installed peatland PV systems in northern Germany in terms of greenhouse gas emissions, biodiversity, ecohydrology and economics in order to be able to provide a holistic evaluation of the effects of peatland PV.
- Measurement and analysis of greenhouse gas exchange on sites with peatland PV in comparison to the drained reference state and (for use in an assessment of the potential) to near-natural control sites of the respective peatland type
- Planning, implementation and instruction of GHG exchange measurements in the field and, if necessary, in experimental approaches
- Organisation and implementation of the recording of additional parameters such as water level, temperatures, radiation, water chemical parameters, etc.
- Regular estimation of GHG fluxes, determination of annual and seasonal balances and analysis of all the collected data to improve the understanding of the process linked to GHG fluxes in peatland PV systems
- Publication of the results in relevant, established, scientific journals
- Possibility to complete a doctorate
- MSc degree in Landscape Ecology, Biology, Agricultural Sciences or comparable study programmes
- Comprehensive understanding of the ecology of peatlands
- Excellent German and English language skills
- Driving licence and willingness to travel regularly to the study areas in northern Germany
- Strong interest in applied research on the topic of peatland/peatland protection and restoration
- Experience with conducting, organising and/or analysing GHG exchange measurements
- Ability to work independently with hands-on mentality, team spirit, helpfulness and reliability
The position is open to all persons, irrespective of gender.
Severely disabled applicants with the same qualifications will be considered with preference.
According to § 68(3) PersVG M-V, the Staff Council will only be involved in staff matters of the academic or artistic staff on request.
Please only submit copies of your application documents as they cannot be returned. Unfortunately, application costs (e.g. travel expenses for interviews) will not be reimbursed by the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
Please note that by submitting your application, you provide your consent pursuant to data protection law for our processing of your application data. Further information about the legal bases and the use of your data can be found here.
Please send your application with the usual documents via email (one PDF file), with reference to job advertisement number 23/Wi23 by 28 November 2023 to:
Institut für Botanik und Landschaftsökologie
Prof. Dr. Gerald Jurasinski