At the University of Greifswald’s Institute of Botany and Landscape Ecology (working group Experimental Plant Ecology) in the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, there is a job vacancy that is expected to be available from 01 January 2024, subject to budgetary regulations, for a part-time (65 %)
The fixed term contract is for a period of three years. Payment will be made according to pay group 13 TV-L Wissenschaft.
The Experimental Plant Ecology working group at the University of Greifswald’s Institute of Botany and Landscape Ecology works on various topics of peatland research and paludiculture. We combine basic research with possible forms of application and practical relevance. Our strength lies in the breadth and integration of research with the implementation of rewetting and peatland restoration. In this project, a group of researches will investigate the implementation of photovoltaic systems on rewetted, (formerly) agriculturally used peatlands and their effects. They will investigate existing or emerging peatland PV systems in northern Germany with regard to greenhouse gas emissions, biodiversity, ecohydrology and economics in order to evaluate the effects of peatland PV.
- Assessment of the development of biodiversity and ecohydrology on sites with peatland PV in comparison to the drained reference state and to near-natural sites of the respective peatland type
- Evaluation of literature data regarding expectations by the transfer from other (mineral) biodiversity-PV sites and comparable peatland sites
- Monitoring of various taxa with high indication value on the study sites (vascular plants, mosses, birds, ground beetles, spiders; data collection and in part also data analysis of some taxa will be done by specialised experts via subcontracts)
- Quantification of biomass production at the study sites
- Estimation of potential peat formation (growth minus decomposition)
- Possibility of completing a doctorate is given
- Completed university degree in geoecology, landscape ecology, biology, agricultural sciences or similar
- Thorough understanding of the ecology of peatlands
- Taxonomic knowledge, at least floristic
- Excellent German and English language skills
- Driving licence and willingness to travel regularly to the study areas in northern Germany
- Profound interest in applied research on the topic of peatland science and peatland protection
- Ability to work independently with hands-on mentality, team spirit, helpfulness and reliability
The position is open to all persons, irrespective of gender.
Severely disabled applicants with the same qualifications will be considered with preference.
According to § 68(3) PersVG M-V, the Staff Council will only be involved in staff matters of the academic or artistic staff on request.
Please only submit copies of your application documents as they cannot be returned. Unfortunately, application costs (e.g. travel expenses for interviews) will not be reimbursed by the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
Please note that by submitting your application, you provide your consent pursuant to data protection law for our processing of your application data. Further information about the legal bases and the use of your data can be found here.
Please send your application with the usual documents via email (one PDF file), with reference to job advertisement number 23/Wi24 by 28 November 2023 to:
Institut für Botanik und Landschaftsökologie
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Kreyling