This course will give an introduction into the versatile and popular programming language Python.
Since 1991 when the first version of Python was published, it has become one of the most important programming languages used in various scientific fields, quantitative finance and the today's data-driven business world for data analysis and visualization. Python is also one of the most demanded skills by future employers in data science outside academia. For this course, no prior knowledge in any programming language is required. Therefore it should be suitable for participants of any discipline with no coding experience. The participants of this course will become familiar with the foundations of coding/programming by the example of the popular programming language Python using Jupyter Notebooks. The course language will be English.
Potential participants will be introduced during five sessions of 4h each to
- Basic data types, variables and operators: int/float, strings, tuples, lists, dictionaries
- Control flow structures: for/while loops, if/elif/else statements, switches
- Code structuring: functions, loading and usage of modules
- Running code from the command-line including command-line arguments
- First application examples of data handling and visualization
To allow the participants to study the material afterwards in their own pace, the Jupyter Notebooks will contain links to short explanatory videos for each step in the sessions.
- M. Lutz, Learning Python: Powerful Object-Oriented Programming, O'Reilly, ISBN: 978-1449355739
- Y. Hilpisch, Python for Finance: Analyze Big Financial Data, O'Reilly, ISBN: 978-1-491-94528-5
If you are interested in this course, please also take a look at the other Data Competency Courses of Summer 2021
02.08. - 05.08.2021: Python from Zero: the Absolute Beginner’s Course (Fabian Wilde)
19.08. - 24.08.2021: C++ for Beginners (Matthis Ebel)
25.08. - 26.08.2021:Introduction to Python for People with Programming Experience (Fabian Wilde)
30.08. - 31.08.2021: Data Visualization and Statistics with Python (Fabian Wilde)
13.09. - 17.09.2021: Advanced Python (Fabian Wilde)
20.09. - 23.09.2021: Working with Bash and Computing Servers (Matthis Ebel)
04.10. - 05.10.2021: Introduction to 3D Printing (Fabian Wilde)
Please note that a university account at University of Greifswald is required for using the University’s JupyterHub (e.g. a student, employee or guest account).
Trainer: Fabian Wilde (fabian.wildeuni-greifswaldde)
Date and time: 02.08. - 05.08.2021 I 09.00 am - 01.00 pm
Number of participants: max. 30
Course language: english
Format: online course