This course will give an introduction into the versatile and popular programming language Python. Since 1991 when the first version of Python was published, it has become one of the most important programming languages used in various scientific fields, quantitative finance and the today's data-driven business world for data analysis and visualization. Python is also one of the most demanded skills by future employers in data science outside academia.
The potential participant should have acquired first experiences with another programming language like C(++) or Java, and should therefore be familiar with basic concepts of a programming, such as data types and control flow structures in general.
Participants will be familiarized with the foundations of Python by using Jupyter Notebooks.
Potential participants will be introduced to
- built-in data types, variables and operators
- control flow structures
- functions, modules and namespaces
- object-oriented programming
- basic data handling and visualization
- M. Lutz, Learning Python: Powerful Object-Oriented Programming, O'Reilly, ISBN: 978-1449355739
- Y. Hilpisch, Python for Finance: Analyze Big Financial Data, O'Reilly, ISBN: 978-1-491-94528-5
You need an account at University of Greifswald. The course will be in English.
This course is part of the Data Competency Project of the Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science and the Institute for Pharmacy (https://math-inf.uni-greifswald.de/en/research/computer-science-and-logic/bioinformatics/data-competence/). This project is funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of the Region of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
Please register for the course via the online course registration by 21. September 2022.
This workshop is a face-to-face workshop.
If you are interested in this course, please also take a look at the other Data Competency Courses of Summer 2022
- Working with Bash and Computing Servers (15.-18.8.2022, 9-13:00) Moodle-Kurs Instructor: Matthis Ebel
- C++ for Beginners (23.-26.8.2022, 9-13:00) Moodle-Kurs Instructor: Matthis Ebel
- Python from Zero - The Absolute Beginner's Course (19.-22.9.2022, 9-13:00) Moodle-Kurs Instructor: Lars Gabriel
- Introduction to Python for People with Programming Experience (26.-29.9.2022, 9-13:00) Moodle-Kurs Instructor: Felix Becker
Please note that a university account at University of Greifswald is required for using the University’s JupyterHub (e.g. a student, employee or guest account).
Trainer: Felix Becker (email@example.com)
Date and time: 26. - 29. September 2022 I 09.00 am - 01.00 pm
Location: course room of the University Computer Centre
Number of participants: max. 24
Course language: english
Format: face-to-face workshop