Meeting Place for Nations: International Guest House (IBZ)
Since 1999, the International Guest House ‘Felix Hausdorff’ has been a home away from home for foreign academics and their families, who are spending time at the University of Greifswald and the Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics.
History of the IBZ
Rittmeister Albert von Schulz built the building as his residence in 1871. Due to its staircase tower, which gives you a fantastic view of Greifswald, the town villa is known amongst the locals as ‘Turmschulzenhaus’.
In 1899 the house was sold to a social club comprised of university teaching staff, later the building was used by academic institutes of the University and from 1962 onwards it was home to the University’s kindergarten.
In 1994, the IBZ was included in the programme for promoting international guest houses in the federal states that formerly belonged to the GDR and was funded by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. After first renovation works and vacancy, the reconstruction and renovation of the town villa and the construction of two new buildings was started in 1997.
The first visiting academics were welcomed in 1999.
The International Guest House ‘Felix Hausdorff’ is a member of the Association of International Meeting Centers and Academic Guest Houses in Germany.
International Guest House
Tel.: +49 3834 420 2650
Fax: +49 3834 420 1723