Make the Most of Registering Greifswald as Your Main Place of Residence!
- Contribution towards moving costs that amounts to € 100.00.
- Voucher booklet – with several attractive offers for newcomers that are definitely worth it. The offers range from free entrance to one of the popular student clubs to a voucher for sports courses provided by University Sport.
- Culture and Community Pass – the Town provides the Culture and Community Pass [de] to every student who registers Greifswald as their main place of residence For example, this pass entitles students to discounts on town bus fares or reductions at the town’s leisure pool.
- Chance to go on a day voyage – once a year the Town of Greifswald draws lots for 40 lucky students who get the chance to go on a day voyage aboard the town’s own brigantine ‘Greif’ [de]. Only students at the University of Greifswald who have registered Greifswald as their main place of residence are eligible.
- Short paths – if you are German, you can renew and collect your national ID card or passport at the University and Hanseatic Town of Greifswald’s Resident Registration Office. If you have only registered Greifswald as a subsidiary residence, you will have to go to your home town to arrange various pieces of administrative paperwork. The distance to Greifswald’s Resident Registration Office is definitely shorter.
- Have your say in local politics – if you are a real resident of Greifswald, you can have your say in the town’s and region’s politics, and you can also be elected. Your main place of residence is decisive for being able to participate in local and district elections or referendums.
- Make sure the uni gets the Wohnsitzprämie (residence bonus) – the money is used for improving teaching.
Change your main place of residence now and profit!
- € 100 contribution to your moving costs
- Voucher booklet
- Kultur- und Sozialpass (Culture and Community Pass)
- Change to win a boot trip
- Short ways
- Right to vote in local elections
- Contribution to the university
Why are we endorsing Greifswald as your main place of residence?
Once 50 percent of the freshers in a subject area (whose previous main place of residence was outside of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) make Greifswald their main place of residence, the Federal State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern pays € 1,000 Wohnsitzprämie (residence bonus) for every other student who changes their main place of residence to Greifswald. This payment is made for four years, i.e. a total of four times. 50 percent of the residence bonus go straight to the corresponding institute/department. This money can be invested in tutorships, books, equipment such as microscopes or PCs, excursions etc. 30 percent of the residence bonus go to the university governance for general study and teaching measures, 20 percent go to the Students' Union (AStA).
The University and Hanseatic town of Greifswald and the Landkreis Vorpommern-Greifswald (district council) endorse the change of main residence, because every additional inhabitant also means additional allocation of revenue from the Federal State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. This money is used, for example, for cultural offers, maintaining sports facilities, new bike paths and social projects.
The federal state has established the framework that makes it possible for data to be exchanged between the university and the local council in accordance with data protection regulations.
Press and Media Relations Office
Domstraße 11, Entrance 1, 17489 Greifswald
Tel.: +49 3834 420 1162