Researching and Teaching Abroad
Teaching and conducting research abroad have become an integral part of any successful academic career. If you would like to teach or undertake research in another country, you will find information on planning and funding your project here. The International Office would be pleased to provide assistance and advice.
DAAD Support Programmes
The DAAD offers over 100 programmes designed to support and promote international academic cooperation. A wide variety of grants and scholarships are available for longer-term teaching and research placements. Information on all available grants and scholarships can be found in the DAAD scholarship database[de].
The research travel grants [de] offered by the DAAD can help to fund your own individual research project at a host institution abroad.
The DAAD provides financial assistance for short-term and long-term teaching posts at foreign universities. For more information on the requirements and organisational issues, please click here[de].
Recent graduates can gain experience as language assistants[de] in the subject areas ‘German Language and Literature’ and ‘German as a Foreign Language’ or can apply to the DAAD lectureship programme for the German language [de] for a longer-term position teaching German abroad.
The project-specific individual exchange programme[de] provides members of the university, particularly early-career researchers, with travel assistance and support for short-terms stays to enable them to continue their educational development and to gain new skills in an international environment.
Financial Support from Foundations
Numerous foundations and institutions provide funding to support researchers interested in working overseas. The following list is not exhaustive:
• Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (Feodor Lynen Research Fellowship)
• Robert Bosch Foundation German Teaching Programme
Current Calls for Applications
- G-RISC project
- DAAD project funding: The Johann Gottfried Herder programme for retired university professors, managerial staff and administrative executives[de]
- Scholarships awarded by the Polish government for study and research stays in Poland and for Polish language courses at Polish universities
- Post-doctoral research positions in Japan (JSPS research scholarships managed by the Humboldt Foundation)
- St. Petersburg State University and Freie Universität Berlin Joint Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2021-2023
Your Contact at the International Office
Dr. Carola Häntsch
Tel.: +49 3834 420 1119