Doctoral Studies in Greifswald

You can come to the University of Greifswald for part of your doctoral studies or do your full doctorate at one of the five faculties. All of the University of Greifswald’s five faculties welcome international doctoral students.

If you would like to obtain your doctorate from the University of Greifswald, you will need a doctoral supervisor in a relevant subject, admission as a doctoral student from the corresponding faculty and to have met the admission requirements stipulated in the faculty’s doctoral regulations.

Funding opportunities for doctorates in Germany are provided by the DAAD and various foundations.

Binational Doctorate (Cotutelle de thèse)

Theses written as part of a binational doctorate are supervised by two academics, one from Greifswald and one from abroad. 

As stipulated in examination regulations, a binational doctoral procedure only leads to one doctor title, not two. Usually, the two universities therefore award a joint certificate (see HRK Cotutelle de thèse

Contact the International Office for the University of Greifswald’s draft contract for binational doctorates and corresponding drafts pursuant to the HRK model here. The IO will be pleased to help you adapt the contracts individually. A procedure for the creation of supervision contracts is being developed.

International Office
Dr. Hasmik Hunanyan
Domstraße 8
17489 Greifswald
Tel.: +49 3834 420 1117