Architecture in the Departmental Library - photo: Kilian Dorner

Come to the University of Greifswald as a Free Mover or Intern

Studying outside of Exchange Programmes (Free Mover)

If your home university does not have an exchange agreement with the University of Greifswald, you can still apply for a study place in Greifswald for one or two semesters as a Free Mover. There are no study fees at the University of Greifswald, but you will be required to pay a semester fee.


  • You are enrolled at a university abroad for a degree course that is comparable to a course provided by the University of Greifswald. Find our degree courses here.
  • You have the required level of language proficiency. All subjects require German language skills of at least B1 level. Exception: All English-language degree programmes/courses require English language skills at a minimum of B2 level. German language skills are recommended.
  • There is sufficient capacity for you to be admitted as a Free Mover to the desired degree course.
  • Please be aware, that it is not possible to study Medicine at the University of Greifswald as a Free Mover!


Please contact the International Office first. We provide you with the necessary information and send you an application form. You apply for the desired study place by completing and submitting the form. Your application must be accompanied by scans of:

  • Enrolment certificate from your home university
  • Proof of language skills
  • Passport photo (light background)
  • Valid proof of health insurance

After your application documents have been checked and if there is a free space on your desired degree course, you will receive a letter of admission as an exchange student from the International Office via email that includes further information about your period of study in Greifswald. More information about the course timetable and the study plan can be found here.

Application deadlines:
31 May for a start of studies in winter semester (1 October to 31 March)
30 November for a start of studies in summer semester (1 April to 30 September)

Do an Internship at the University of Greifswald

If you would like to do an internship at our university, please contact the corresponding department/institute or clinic (medicine) directly. The International Office does not arrange any internships!

Language requirements

Please make sure that you have the required level of language proficiency (for medicine at least German C1, otherwise very good knowledge of the respective working language). If you do not fulfil this requirement, please refrain from sending internship requests.

Got an internship?

If you have managed to find yourself an internship, feel free to contact the International Office. We can then provide you with information about enrolment and student status, finding a room in a student hall of residence and other practical aspects about life in Greifswald.