Erasmus+ Funding for Visiting Academics
The Erasmus+ Staff Mobility for Teaching (STA) programme is designed to facilitate short-term guest lectureships at European universities with which a departmental cooperation exists. Find out about existing cooperations in your subject in our database[de].
Please note: If you are interested in a temporary teaching position in Vietnam, please contact the International Office for more information.
Spending time teaching at a European host university can strengthen cooperative ties within Europe as well as supplementing the courses and curricula offered at the host institution. Moreover, you can share your expertise with students who are unable or do not want to study abroad through lectures, talks, seminars or by supervising working groups.
- share your expertise
- acquire international teaching experience
- gain insights into new forms of teaching
- promote exchange between the University of Greifswald and its partner universities
- develop and deepen cooperative networks
The minimum duration of the stay (excluding travel time) is two days; the maximum duration is two months. Due to budgetary limitations, financial support can be provided for a maximum of ten teaching days.
You will be expected to teach a minimum of eight hours during each week (or partial week) of your stay.
The following groups are eligible for funding:
- professors and teaching staff employed by the university
- university teachers (unremunerated)
- part-time contract teaching staff
- emeritus professors and retired members of teaching staff
- teaching and/or research assistants
Application and Procedure
Please submit your written application to erasmusuni-greifswaldde at least four weeks before the planned start of your proposed teaching placement.
The following documents are required to request funding:
- approved Travel Request Form (original - please ask us for chapter, title and cost centre)
- signed Internal Request Form (scan)
- signed Mobility Agreement (scan)
- signed Declaration of Honor for Green Travel (scan)
- Please apply for your A1 certificate, which you may have to show when you enter the country, at the Human Resources department.
Please ask your receiving institution to sign the Letter of Confirmation issued by the International Office.
- Please submit your signed Letter of Confirmation (original) to the International Office.
- After your return, you will receive an invitation to take part in the EU Survey by email from firstname.lastname@example.org. If not, please check your spam folder.
Please note: If the International Office has not received your Letter of Confirmation after your stay abroad or if you have not taken part in the survey, the funding will be reclaimed.
The grant amount is composed of a daily rate and a travel expenses allowance.
|Receiving country||Unit costs per day|
|Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom||180 EUR|
|Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain||160 EUR|
|Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey||140 EUR|
The travel expenses are calculated according to the actual distances between the departure and arrival destinations of the visit using a distance calculator that applies to the whole EU.
|Distance band||Amount (unit costs)||Green Travel Amount (unit costs)|
|10 – 99 km||23 euros||-|
|100 – 499 km||180 euros||210 euros|
|500 – 1,999 km||275 euros||320 euros|
|2,000 – 2,999 km||360 euros||410 euros|
|3,000 – 3,999 km||530 euros||610 euros|
|4,000 – 7,999 km||820 euros||-|
|8,000 km and above||1.500 euros||-|
Participants who travel at least 50% of their journey there and back by sustainable means of transport will receive additional individual support for travel costs and travel days of up to 4 days for a return journey, if applicable. In total, a maximum of six additional days of individual support for travel can thus be claimed. In this case, two days for standard travel and four days for Green Travel are used to calculate the daily rates. Please note that participants must justify the need for these additional travel days.
According to the National Agency DAAD, sustainable means of transport are:
- train, ship/ferry, carpool, bus, bicycle, walking.
Please note: Days that are used for leisure activities (e.g. weekends without teaching or working days) in the receiving country cannot be funded. Only teacing or working days are eligible for funding.
The University of Greifswald reserves the right to reduce the length of funding compared to the length of stay, depending on the amount of available funds. This means that the duration of the visit does not always match the duration of funding!
If the actual costs exceed the maximum grant amount, the additional costs must be financed by the participants! Unused funds do not have to be paid back to the Erasmus office but should be taxed accordingly and reported to the tax office.