Holdings

The University Archive currently looks after approximately 2,200 linear metres of records, assigned to 224 separate holdings, and ranging from 1456 to present day. Apart from records, the archive also stores deeds, various official books (Amtsbücher), estates of scholars, maps of University estates and historic architectural drawings and plans of University buildings, thousands of photos, negatives and slides portraying the University’s and the town’s history and lots more. These mostly well preserved holdings provide users with a detailed insight into the historic, scientific-cultural and commercial development of the University of Greifswald.


Overview of the Holdings

Currently the University Archive Greifswald holds 133 deeds (1392-1795) and approximately 2,200 linear metres of records (from 1456, 224 holdings).

Official Books (Amtsbücher)

  • University Entrants (18 holdings 1456-1969)
  • Deans’ Books (1456-1945)
  • Faculty Books (1829-1934)
  • Ledgers (1544-1922)

Records from the Early Modern and Modern Periods

  • Old Rectorate (1530-1957)
  • Curator (1511-1952)
  • University Court (1571-1948)
  • University Library (1821-2002)
  • Faculty of Theology (1524-1971)
  • Faculty of Law and Economics (1555-1951)
  • Faculty of Medicine (1646-1959)
  • Faculty of Arts and Humanities (1456-1954)
  • Institutes, departments and clinics within the faculties (19 holdings)
  • Societies and fraternities (Studentenverbindungen) (12 holdings)

Records After 1945

  • Rectorate New Edition (1945-1992)
  • Academic Council (1969-1990)
  • Pro-Rectors’ Offices (4 holdings)
  • Directors’ Offices (4 holdings)
  • Subordinate units of the Rectorate and the University’s administration (23 holdings)
  • Faculty of Theology (1939-2008)
  • Faculty of Law and Economics (1990-2011)
  • Faculty of Medicine (1941-2007)
  • Faculty of Arts and Humanities (1945-1969, 1990-2008)
  • Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences (1930-1969)
  • Faculty of Education (1946-1962)
  • Faculty of Agriculture (1945-1951)
  • Faculty of Workers and Farmers (1946-1962)
  • Sections (13 holdings) and Institutes (12 holdings)
  • Parties and Mass Organisations (5 holdings)
  • Institute for Teacher Education Templin (1955-1990)/Institute for Teacher Education Kyritz (1953-1990)/University of Education Neubrandenburg (1974-1993)
  • Societies (2 holdings)

Holdings Arranged by the Principle of Pertinence

  • Academic Examination Boards (1831-1950)
  • Doctor of Medicine Examination Boards (1904-1981)
  • Pharmaceutical Examination Boards (1947-1983)
  • Student records (from 1914)
  • Staff records (from 1800)
  • Doctoral and habilitation records according to faculty (from 1737)
  • Patient records: Medical Hospital (1928-1946), Eye Hospital (1879-1958), Psychiatric Hospital (1863-1978)

Estates, Collections, Selections

  • Scholars’ estates (60 holdings)
  • Map collection of the University’s estates (360 items)
  • Historical architectural drawings and building plans (approx. 1,200 items)
  • Official addresses and honorary presents
  • Medal and badge collection
  • Coin and seal collection
  • Photo collection (approx. 10,000 photos, 800 photographic plates and 106,000 negatives)
  • Slide collection
  • Film collection (including 850 teaching films)
  • Audio collection
  • Collection of University history