Application Requirements for a Study Place in Greifswald
If you would like to apply to do a full degree or the DSH language course at the University of Greifswald you will need to meet the following requirements:
1. Eligibility for Studies
Admission shall only be granted to the University of Greifswald if you are in possession of a recognised higher education entrance qualification.
A difference is made between a direct general (recognised for all fields of study) and a direct subject-specific higher education entrance qualification (only for certain fields of study).
The following databases provide you with information on how your foreign qualification compares to the German education system:
If your foreign school qualifications are not sufficient for direct admission to the University, if you have studied successfully for a few years at a university in your home country or you pass an assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) at a German Studienkolleg (provider of preparatory courses) you may gain a subject-specific higher-education entrance qualification.
2. German Language Skills
Prior to commencing studies you will be required to provide proof of German language proficiency. The following certificates are recognised by the University of Greifswald for applications to a full degree course:
- the ‘Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber’ (DSH) at least level 2*
- the ‘Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz’ (level 2)
- the Goethe-Zertifikat C2 from the Goethe Institute
- the ‘Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache’ (Test DaF), at least level 4 in all partial examinations*
- the certificate ‘telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule’
- a completed degree in German Studies, an assessment test with German as examination subject.
*For the subject areas medicine, dentistry, German language and literature, German as a foreign language, communication studies and the master’s degree courses in German language and literature, applicants must prove language proficiency of DSH Level 3 or TestDaF Level 5, the Goethe-Zertifikat C2 from the Goethe Institute, or the assessment test with German as examination subject.
For degree courses with admission restrictions, proof of German language proficiency muss be provided by the application deadline (15 January or 15 July), for degree courses without admission restrictions, proof must be provided by the day of enrolment. For applicants from EU countries, proof of German language skills must only be provided by the day of enrolment.
If you have not yet gained one of the above-named German certificates, you can also attend a DSH course at our university. Further details on the DSH courses can be found on the webpages of the Department of Teaching German as a Foreign Language.
3. Special Requirements for the Subjects Human Medicine and Dentistry
If you are applying for Human Medicine or Dentistry at the University of Greifswald, you will have to meet the following additional requirements:
- Foreign secondary school leaving certificates with a minimum grade of ‘good’ (at least 2.5 or better)
- Certificate TestAS (test for foreign students/study ability test): Core test with at least 100 points (only applies for applicants applying for their first subject semester and non-EU/EEA citizens)
- For graduates from German language courses: Proof of language proficiency DSH level 3, Goethe-Certificate C2, TestDaF level 5
- For graduates from Studienkollegs (preparatory courses): Assessment test with minimum grade ‘good’ (2.5 or better)
Find the statute for the selection procedure here [de].
Information for Applicants
Study and Application Enquiries
Tel.: +49 3834 420 1116