On the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the founding of the Hanoi regional office,
an online anniversary event was celebrated on 22 March.
Greifswald has a particularly close cooperation with several partner universities in Vietnam. As early as 22 March 2002, the university founded a branch office in Vietnam: the Joint Education and Training Centre (JETC), headed by Dr Le Nguyen Binh, an alumna of the University of Greifswald who works at the Institute of Biotechnology.
When the first Vietnamese students came to Germany in 1969, they still had to travel by train from Hanoi via Beijing and Moscow to Leipzig in order to be able to start their studies in Greifswald a few months later. Nowadays, fortunately, the exchange is much easier to realise.
Since 2015, the University of Greifswald has participated in the ERASMUS+ programme with partner countries and receives funding for the partnership with Vietnam. Since then, students and academic and non-academic staff have been able to further expand existing partnerships and initiate new collaborations in a lively exchange.
If you are interested in staying in Vietnam, please contact us! We are happy to help you.
- The cooperation with Vietnam started already in the late 1960s. It began with the study of numerous Vietnamese in Greifswald.
- In the 1970s, Greifswald scientists conducted research on Gracilaria cultivation in Vietnam and participated in the establishment of a red algae farm.
- 2001-2014: Joint Graduate Education Program (JPEG)
Since 2003, more than 80 Vietnamese students have studied or completed their PhD in Greifswald. Regular summer schools prepared the Vietnamese students for Greifswald.
- 2002: Establishment of the branch office of the University of Greifswald in Hanoi
- 2010-2013: Establishment of regional learning centers for protected area management
- 2012: Summer School Modern Foundations and Applications of Red Biotechnology
- 2013-2016: Research Network on Melioidosis and Burkholderia
- Spring 2015: Start of regular partner visits of different faculties in Hanoi and vice versa in Greifswald until today.
- Summer 2015: Start of the ERASMUS+ program KA107 with partner countries, the University of Greifswald successfully attracts funding for the partnership with Vietnam.
- November 2016: The first Vietnam Forum is held at the University of Greifswald as part of the rector's visit to ULIS. This offers the opportunity for an exchange of experiences between the Vietnamese guests and Greifswald scientists interested in cooperation with Vietnam.
- 20th anniversary of the founding of the Hanoi regional office in 2002.
- Dec. 2016: DAADeuroletter, Issue 61, P. 24 - Erasmus+ Mobility with partner countries: The Cooperation between the Universität of Greifswald and Vietnam
- Nov. 2016: University Greifswald - Visit of Vietnamese partner universities at the University of Greifswald
Sören Baars recently spent a semester abroad in Hanoi, Vietnam. He reported directly from his everyday life for us and shared his experiences on our blog "Greifswald goes International". It's definitely worth taking a look, and we'll be publishing more reports there over time. He has also completed his field report, which you can also read here. (in German)
Partner in Vietnam
Vietnam National University (VNU):
- VNU University of Languages (ULIS)
- VNU University of Social Sciences and Humanities (USSH)
- VNU University of Science (HUS)
Hanoi University of Science and Technology