Corona-Pandemic - Current Employment-Related Information for the University of Greifswald of 22/07/2020

Reporting Chain and Measures to be Taken if Employees of the University of Greifswald Contract COVID-19

Information about the Coronavirus from the HR Department

If I am worried about contracting the illness, am I allowed to stay home?

It is against employment and civil service regulations to stay at home for preventive reasons. Working from home can be agreed to following prior consultations with your line manager/superior, the HR Department and approval from the Registrar, Head of Administration and Finance. However, currently there is no need for this.

Employees and civil servants, who are particularly at risk due to previous illness, their age, or their personal situation, should be protected by further measures that must be implemented following consultation with the line manager/superior, the HR Department and the Registrar, Head of Administration and Finance. Every individual case shall be considered in order to determine which measures could be helpful.

What should I do if I am experiencing symptoms of illness?

  • If you are experiencing symptoms of illness (cough, high temperature, sore throat, difficulty breathing, runny nose), stay at home until you are feeling better.
  • All members of the university community, who genuinely suspect that they have a coronavirus infection, should, depending on the severity of their symptoms, first make a phone call to their general practitioner, the ambulance service, the accident and emergency departments at the hospitals, or the Public Health Office (Gesundheitsamt - tel.: +49 3834 8760 241). They will decide which medical measures need to take.
  • If you have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for the coronavirus, please contact the Public Health Office (tel.: +49 3834 8760 2401) immediately.
  • If you require a doctor’s certificate, the Public Health Office has asserted that this can also be sent via post. Of course the employee or civil servant is still required to inform his/her line manager/superior of his/her illness prior to his/her regular start of work.

The Public Health Office has ordered me to go into quarantine - will I continue to receive my normal salary?

If a public body orders employees to go into quarantine, meaning that they are unable to perform their work duties for a specific period of time, as a rule of principle, in accordance with § 56 Infektionschutzgesetz - IfSG (Protection Against Infection Act), they will receive a compensation payment for a period of six weeks, which corresponds to the loss of earnings.

In order to avoid unnecessary bureaucracy, depending on the circumstances, employees who work for the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern will simply continue to receive their salary, and the reimbursement is waived (as this would also be paid by the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern). It can also be expected that civil servants will also continue to receive their salary if a public body imposes quarantine.

Information about Cancellation of Work-Related Travel from the Travel Expenses Office

Information from the Travel Expenses Office about the cancellation of work-related travel due to the spread of the coronavirus.

If you cancel work-related travel as recommended in the information provided by the Rectorate here -, please take note of the following information provided by the Travel Expenses Office with regard to the possible reimbursement of accrued costs.

Make sure you cancel your travel arrangements as soon and as comprehensibly as possible, which shall help to keep the costs for travel preparations to a minimum. For example, please cancel your train/plane tickets, hotel reservation and participation at the event.

You are required to provide verifiable documents that prove that you have actually been faced with the costs you are claiming.

Once you have fully cancelled your work-related travel, you must submit the following documents to the Travel Expenses Office:

  • Travel request form
  • Claim form for travel expenses
  • Original train tickets or copies (if the originals have been submitted to Deutsche Bahn for cancellation purposes)
  • Plane tickets
  • Booking confirmation from the hotel and the hotel invoice
  • Invoices for event fees
  • All cancellation receipts/cancellation invoices

If you have any further questions, please contact one of the members of staff at the Travel Expenses Office:

Grit Giersberg
Tel.: +49 3834 420 1254

Franka Fuchs
Tel.: +49 3834 420 1345