Discounts and Concessions

Registering Greifswald as your main residence

It pays to make Greifswald your main residence
State grants to local municipalities depend first and foremost on the amount of people who have registered their main residence in a town. Many students do not register at all or only register their place of residence as a secondary residence which means that the desperately required funds are not allocated to the university town. 
When you change your main place of residence, the university receives a Wohnsitzprämie (residence bonus) from the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. This money also benefits the improvement of teaching. Student representatives have a say in how the residence bonus is spent.

This is why the Hanseatic Town of Greifswald is asking its students to register Greifswald as their main place of residence. Students who do this enjoy the following benefits:


  • Voucher booklet [de]– with several attractive offers for newcomers that are definitely worth it. The offers range from free entrance to one of the popular student clubs to a voucher for sports courses provided by University Sport. 
  • Cultural benefit: Students who register their address in Greifswald as their main place of residence receive the Kultur und Sozialpass (KUS) [de], a cultural and community pass.
  • Contribution towards moving costs that amounts to € 200.00 in the form of Greifswald vouchers [de].

Information on the Heimathaften Greifswald


University and Hanseatic Town of Greifswald
Ordnungsamt/Resident Registration Office
Markt 15, 17489 Greifswald
Tel.: +49 3834 8536 4132, -4133, -4136, -4138, -4139

Book an appointment online for changing your residency

Consultation hours with an appointment (unless stated otherwise)
Tuesday to Thursday 10.00 a.m. – 12.00 p.m. and 2.00 – 4.00 p.m.
Consultation hours without an appointment  
Tuesday 9.00 a.m. – 12.00 p.m. and 2.00 – 5.00 p.m.
Thursday 9.00 a.m. – 12.00 p.m. and 2.00 – 4.00 p.m.

Kultur- und Sozialpass KUS (Culture and Community Pass)

The town of Greifswald provides a Culture and Community Pass [de] (KUS). Students who register their address in Greifswald as their main residence are automatically entitled to the KUS. Applications for the card are available from the Sozialamt (Social Welfare Office). You will need: a passport photo, national ID card or passport and a student ID card. The KUS entitles you to various discounts. 

Read more about all of the available discounts [de] on the Town Council’s KUS page.

Telekom Special Rate

If you are exempt from the radio and television licence fee or if you receive a BAföG student grant, you are entitled to a special discount from Deutsche Telekom (Sozialanschluss or ISDN-Sondertarif). Your telephone provider must be Telekom. The discount is only available on landline calls and deducted from your monthly call fees. If you don’t make many calls, you won’t be able to use up your full allowance.

You will have to fill in an application form which is available from the following freephone number: 0800 3301000. Alternatively it can be collected from Telekom, Schuhhagen 21, 17489 Greifswald.

International Student Identity Card

The ISIC card, an international student identity card recognised in more than 90 countries, entitles you to free or reduced entry to many cultural attractions. It is available, for example, from travel agents near the university upon presentation of the following:

  • Current enrolment certificate or student ID card
  • Passport / national ID card / children’s passport
  • Passport photo

The student ID card is valid for 16 months.

Student Subscriptions

Before subscribing to a newspaper or magazine, you should enquire about special discounts that may be available for students.