Application Procedure

Application Procedure

To get an exchange placement to study at a partner university you first need to attend an initial consultation session at the International Office. You will learn all the basics about exchange programmes, the organisational and administrative aspects and about funding options. You must complete the initial consultation before you can attend a personal advisory session with the exchange programme coordinator.


2. Online Application (submitted to the International Office)

Application deadline for the academic year 2024/25: 15 December 2023

Remaining places for the summer semester 2024: 20 June 2023

Applications must be submitted via the online application form. If you are a new applicant, you will need to register on the application portal. Please note: Registration is not possible if you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer as your browser.



Required documents

Documents to be submitted online (as a PDF file; in English or German depending on the language of instruction):

  • Personal statement (1–2 pages; A4 format). You will be assessed in terms of the content and presentation of your study abroad project; your reasons for choosing the host institution; how your proposed study abroad period integrates into your study plans and career goals; whether the study abroad period is a compulsory component of your degree course (see examination regulations); whether your project has links to existing contacts with the host institution; etc.

  • Tabular curriculum vitae (CV)

  • Transcript of records (as printed from HIS; certificates of previous university degrees, if applicable)

  • Proof of foreign language proficiency (at least CEFR level B2 in the language of instruction used at the host institution)

Documents to be presented to the International Office (original documents or send by e-mail; in English or German depending on the language of instruction):

FAQs on Language Proficiency

FAQs on Language Proficiency

  • The host university requires applicants to provide proof of language proficiency. In most cases, you can prove the required level of proficiency (typically B2) with the DAAD language certificate. If you are interested in taking graduate courses in North America, you will need a TOEFL certificate.

  • The University of Greifswald’s Language Centre conducts the DAAD test to assess foreign language skills several times each semester. Information on the application process, costs and test content is available on the Language Centre website.

  • Students taking British and North American Studies, Russian or Law should contact their departments directly in order to take the language assessment test there.

  • Other acceptable language proficiency certificates: TOEFL and IELTS certificates, which must not be more than two years old at the time the application is submitted. The following documents cannot be accepted as proof of language proficiency: German Abitur certificate with an English exam grade, lapsed certificates, intermediate exam grade from a university language degree. Results from UNIcert exams may be entered on the DAAD language certificate, if agreed with the Language Centre.

  • Applicants whose first language is the national language or language of instruction used in the host country are not required to submit proof of language proficiency.

3. Review of Application Documents and Nomination

The documents you submit will be reviewed and assessed in January and February and selection interviews may also be held. You will be notified about the results of your application in February. If you qualify for one of the places on the exchange programme, the International Office will submit your nomination to the partner university. You will then be able to apply to the partner university as an official exchange student from the University of Greifswald.


4. Personal Application to the Host University

Once you have been nominated, you will receive an email from the host university or from the International Office in Greifswald containing all that you need to know for the further application process. By submitting your application you will be registered as an exchange student. Once registered, you will receive a letter of admission and a formal invitation from the host university, which you should then present to the relevant visa processing authority.

Congratulations! You are now officially enrolled for your exchange semester at your chosen partner university.