Spend your summer at the University of Greifswald, right next to the Baltic Sea coast! (6th August - 14th October 2018)
Greifswald Summer combines intensive German lessons at different levels and work groups with a diverse offer of cultural events and excursions. Become part of Greifswald’s International Community, improve your German and spend an unforgettable summer in Greifswald!
Greifswald Summer in Detail
- Variable programme structure: choose the modules that suit you and take part for 2, 4, 6, or 8 weeks.
- German lessons: 20 hours of morning lessons per week with work groups to choose from, where you can use your German language practically or are introduced to the University of Greifswald, its key fields of research and local initiatives.
- optional weekend excursions to the islands of Hiddensee and Usedom as well as an excursion to the beautiful Szczecin, Poland.
- Cultural programme and weekly outings in Greifswald and the surrounding area on Wednesday afternoons
- Buddies from Greifswald: Students from Greifswald take part in the leisure and cultural activities and introduce you to student life.
- Erasmus+/ exchange students
- Groups and individual students from partner universities
- Participants of other summer schools in Greifswald
- DSH and Studienkolleg (Preparatory Courses) participants, who would like to improve their German over the summer
- International academics and their families
- Full-time students who would like to improve their German before starting their studies in Greifswald
- Selected pupils (with supervisors) from German international school (PASCH schools), funded by the DAAD from funds provided by the Federal Foreign Office
- Students of Teaching German as a Foreign Language can gain teaching experience during Greifswald Summer, please contact greifswaldsummer(at)uni-greifswald(dot)de
Please note that you have to be at least 18 years old to take part in Greifswald Summer - Exception: selected pupils from PASCH schools.
- Participants of the Ukrainicum have free access to Greifswald Summer during the Ukrainicum
- Erasmus and bilateral exchange students at the University of Greifswald have free access to module 4
- Students of Landscape Ecology and Nature Conservation with an EPOS scholarship and who are going to start their studies straight after Greifswald Summer have free access to all 4 modules and the excursions to Hiddensee and Usedom
Greifswald Summer offers its international participants the opportunity of learning German or improving their existing German language skills. You will have 40 hours of German lessons per module.
The German lessons take place in the mornings, from 09.00 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. and from 11.00 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. on the University of Greifswald’s historical campus. Learning materials and course books are provided.
We offer courses at A1-Level for beginners up to B2-Level for intermediate learners. Beginners should start their Greifswald Summer with modules 1 and/or 2.
We suggest advanced learners should finish their summer with the course “Academic Skills”
The course covers different topics that are all linked to academic work at the University. It also includes the area of communicating at the University.
During this course you will learn the German academic style, write emails to lecturers and learn what you need to pay attention to and cover topics such as consultations during office hours and taking part in classes.
We also take a detailed look at the topics “the oral presentation” and “academic coursework” and speak about literature research in this context, you will get to know reading strategies to understand academic texts and the different ways of quoting and writing bibliographies. We also practice typical academic language structures (passive, nominalisation, participial phrases, commonly used transitions etc.).
You can check on your progress with a test on the last Friday of each module. At the end of your stay you will receive an official document which certifies your test marks and the ECTS credits gained.
In the afternoons and evenings you can take part in various work groups, cultural activities and excursions.
For each module, you can choose a work group (AG), which takes place on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
There are various work groups:
- The language and culture AGs give you the opportunity of putting your German language skills to practice, whilst covering topics such as food, history or traditions.
- The University and town AGs introduce you to the University of Greifswald and its faculties. You can also gain an insight into local initiatives.
On Wednesday afternoons, we go on small outings and visit beautiful beaches in the local area, eat fish rolls or visit the Ozeaneum in Stralsund. We also watch German films and you can meet your buddies (mainly students from Greifswald) who will show you their favourite places.
During Greifswald Summer you can stay in a room in one of the student halls of residence or find your own place to stay.
Please note that holiday apartments and similar accommodation are in great demand in Greifswald in the summer. Therefore, we suggest you organise your accommodation as soon as possible. For example, you can look for a room for summer on the University forum ryckwärts.de or wg-gesucht.de.
Rooms in Halls of Residence
Rooms in halls of residence have access to a communal bathroom and kitchen. We provide you with bed linen and cooking utensils. Please bring a LAN cable with you to access the internet in your room. Unfortunately, you do not have access to wifi in the halls of residence.
We have reserved a limited number of rooms in the halls of residence. Please expect to pay approximately € 200 per module. Rooms in halls of residence are additional options that cannot be guaranteed.
For further information, please visit the homepage of student services.
The programme fees include participation in the German lessons, as well as cultural events and the Wednesday excursions.
The price for one module is € 200. If you take part in more than one module, each module only costs € 175.
- Usedom 18th to 19th August 2018: € 75
- Hiddensee 31st August to 2nd September 2018: € 95
- Szczecin/Poland 21st to 23rd September 2018: € 80
- Room in a hall of residence per module: € 200